Welcome to the home page of Poor Richard's Building Online Communities! Here you'll find updates to the book and links to other information about virual community.
Updates to the Book
- eGroups has been purchased by Yahoo and folded into Yahoo Groups. Go to http://groups.yahoo.com to try it out.
- Excite has closed down its Excite Clubs site, although its Excite Chat site still works.
- AltaVista has closed its AltaVista Communities.
- Deja.com was acquired by Google.com, so its Usenet search site is now at http://groups.google.com/.
- Remarq.com no longer offers a searchable directory of mailing list and newsgroup messages, but directs you to http://www.supernews.com/.
- Snap Clubs have been acquired by NBC, and are at http://clubs.nbci.com/.
- MailMan is an excellent new mailing list management program. Information is available at http://www.list.org/.
- The Community Manager Network site at http://www.communitymanager.net/ contains information
for professional online community managers.
Let us know if you find any other resources that have moved (or have trouble finding them!).
- Resources for Online Community Managers: Here's the online, updated version of the Appendix. Why type in URLs when you can click them?
- The Mailing List Gurus Page: The authors of the book wrote a Web site just for mailing list managers.
- Other Poor Richard's Books: Top Floor Publishing has other great no-nonsense books about the Internet, including Poor Richard's Web Site and Poor Richard's Internet Marketing and Promotions.
- Other Books We Wrote: Like our book? Then check out the other books we've written, including Internet: The Complete Reference, Internet Secrets, and lots of For Dummies books.
- The Internet Gurus Newsletter: We're just starting a free newsletter for our readers. If you want to receive Internet tips and tricks as well as notification about updates and new editions of our books, sign up!
- Buy a Copy of Poor Richard's Building Online Communities: Get your own copy at 50% off!
If you'd like to be notified when we update this area of Internet Gurus Central, leave your e-mail address here. (We'll only use this to send you updates about this site, and will not give your address to anyone else, not even our beloved publisher.
We'll send you a message to which you must respond to confirm
that you want updates, which also tells you how to get off the list if
you change your mind later.)
Updated: Mar 5, 2001